Springs, Transvaal, South Africa
Springs is a city in Gauteng province, South Africa and is part of the East Rand region. The name of the city derives from the large number of springs in the area; it has a population of more than 200,000.
The original 7 km² farm on which the city of Springs was later to be built, The Springs, was surveyed in 1883. Coal was discovered in the area in 1887 and three years later the Transvaal Republic's first railway was built to carry coal from the East Rand coalfields to the gold mines of the Witwatersrand.
Gradually, especially after coal was discovered further east in South Africa in Witbank, the Springs collieries were closed. In the meanwhile, however, gold had also been discovered in the area. A village was laid out in 1904 and in 1908 the first gold mining began. Springs was granted municipal status in 1912. By the late 1930s, there were eight gold mines near Springs, making it the largest single gold-producing area in the world.
Currently, Springs is one of the industrial centers of the Witwatersrand. Mining has been replaced by the manufacturing and engineering industries in economic importance; products of the region include processed metals, chemicals, paper and foodstuffs.
Springs is currently part of the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipal, that includes much of the East Rand.